Sunday’s Des Moines Register took an in-depth look at immigrant entrepreneurs.
Prairie Moves is a roundup of career changes, media coverage, product development and other updates from the companies and individuals regularly covered by Silicon Prairie News. To submit an item for consideration, please email email@example.com or use the form below.
“Immigrant entrepreneurs open for business” – In advance of Saturday’s Immigrant Entrepreneurs Summit in Des Moines, the Des Moines Register examined challenges faced and successes achieved by immigrant entrepreneurs and looked at the broader landscape — from availability of funding to immigration laws — facing that segment of entrepreneurs in the U.S.
““We’ve built it so 35-year-old moms feel safe there. We are not Craigslist. We have a higher bar for who participates.” – Bo Fishback, Zaarly’s co-founder and CEO, to the Kansas City Star about Storefronts, which Zaarly launched in Kansas City last week
- Tegan Snyder joined Bulu Box as director of web development
- Greg Thompson joined GoodTwin Design as a front-end developer – GoodTwin on Facebook
- ActiveGrade added a new feature that lets users upload files to its system and attach them to scores – ActiveGrade blog
- Social Assurance launched its new website – Social Assurance on Twitter
- Zaarly launched Storefronts in Kansas City, the fourth market to get the new version of Zaarly – SPN, Kansas City Star, Think Big Partners blog
Product and business updates
- Syncbak made Fargo, N.D. stations KVLY and KXJB available on its platform – Valley News Live
- U.S. SourceLink teamed with the Iowa Economic Development Authority to launch IASourceLink, bringing its resource network for entrepreneurs to all of Iowa – Press release, Radio Iowa, Quad-City Times
- Banno – “Banks Roll Out Mobile Savings Tools” – American Banker
- Hudl – “New software has changed the way game film is studied” – Sarasota Herald-Tribune
- MindMixer – ” ‘Code For America’ Reinvents Government One Step At A Time” – ReadWrite
- OneLouder’s Live 140 app – “Live 140: Talk About the TV Show You’re Obsessing Over’ – Gizmodo
- Torsion Mobile – “Mobile Startups to Watch – The Final 40” – Sandstorm Media
Gig Bits is an occasional feature keeping our readers up to speed on Google Fiber. Read Gig Bits.
- Kansas City civic leadership announced the formation of KC Digital Drive – Press release, SPN, Kansas City infoZine
- NPR toured the Google Fiber Space and looked at Fiber’s impact on the future of TV – NPR
- Social Media Club KC collected 40 computers in a used computer drive to help low-income Kansas Citians take advantage of Google Fiber – SMCKC Blog, Connecting for Good
- AIGA Nebraska honored several firms, including Oxide Design Co., Grain & Mortar and SecretPenguin at its event, The Show 21 – Grain & Mortar, Oxide Design Co., SecretPenguin on Facebook
- “Kansas City is the capital of GEW/USA” – Global Entrepreneurship Week USA
- “6 Reasons Why You Need to Put GEW on Your Calendar” – Google Connects KC
- “SeedCon Fast-Pitch Entry: Bawte” – John Jackovin
- “Brands searching for startups!” – Bawte
- “How the money moves” – Ben Milne
- “Sandy, New Yorkers, and the industry we admire” – 42
- “Football season is winding down. Here’s what that looks like for support.” – Hudl
- “Stay Fresh” – Rarewire
- “Tech’s influence on presidential election (#VOTE)” – Dwolla
- “5 Tips To Survive Election Day” – OneLouder
- The Des Moines Register examined challenges and successes of immigrant entrepreneurs and looked at factors, like the availability of funding and immigration laws, affecting that segment of entrepreneurs in the U.S. – Des Moines Register
- The Ewing Marion Kauffman Foundation announced 24 startups that will participate in its Startup@Kauffman Demo Day on Nov. 12 – Press release, SPN, Kansas City Star
- Iowa State University president Steven Leath announced the ISU Research Park will make a 100-acre addition within the next year – Ames Tribune
Credits: Photo from the Immigrant Entrepreneurs Summit on Facebook.