A call for artists to exhibit at our Big Series eventsFebruary 18, 2013 by Brittany Mascio
A sampling of art installations from our 2012 events.
It’s our goal at Silicon Prairie News to produce events that deliver a comprehensive experience. From the moment our attendees walk in the door, we aim to present an environment conducive to learning, exploring, interacting and collaborating. The elements in the event space play an important role to achieve this atmosphere and with The Big Series art installations and exhibits, we aim to create this fully-engaged experience.
We are currently looking to work with artists from the Kansas City, Omaha and Des Moines area to create pieces for our 2013 Big Series conferences to help us bring an exceptional experience to our attendees.
We’ve had the pleasure of collaborating with more a dozen artists – those who challenge the boundaries, those who present on a different medium and those who utilize technology – to bring a truly unique experience to each and every conference.
Just as important as the valuable content delivered on our stage, are the art installations in the nooks, lounges and hallways that help create moments of discovery and interaction, instances that truly impact the relationships at our events. We are looking for those skilled artists, creators and innovators to help advance this message.
What we’re looking for
We’re open to all sorts of ideas, but here are a few things we’ll be looking for when we select our featured artists:
- Installations that engage and encourage interaction among our attendees
- Art that calls to mind our focus on innovation and entrepreneurship
- New ideas that push the envelope for a conference experience
- Exhibitions that can be shared (e.g. tweeted, uploaded to Facebook or Instagram)
What we provide
- Complimentary ticket ($449 value)
- Small honorarium
- Exposure on particular The Big Series event website (listed next to speakers)
- Coverage on Silicon Prairie News
Submit your idea
If you’re interested in creating work that pushes the boundaries of inspiration, entrepreneurship and innovation, we want your help. Please fill out our art proposal form with a brief description of your idea.
Our past artists have created work on a variety of mediums, from digital to traditional. We’re open to new ideas that push the boundaries.
2013 event dates and locations
- Big Kansas City (March 26-28) - Hangar 9, National Airline History Museum
- Big Omaha (May 8-10) - KANEKO
- Big Des Moines (October 9-11) – Temple for Performing Arts
Past Art Installations
The Big Series art installations have taken different forms each year. Below are a few examples from the past that serve as an example to the types of work we’ll be interested in for 2013.
- “From animals to installations, balloon artist Willy Chyr“
- “A bunch of laughs: Interview with Tim Siedell, a.k.a. @badbanana“
- “Barcode artist Scott Blake digitizes human expressions“
- “Four artists to exhibit at Big Omaha 2011“
- “Koterba cartoons in tune with outer space theme“
- “Release of Dear World: Omaha photos and letter from founder“
- This Strange Phase, 2011 / Big Omaha Installation
- Oh So – We love the Internet
- Hansen Brothers’ Kinect
- Small Talk with What Cheer
- Oxide Design’s Expression
- Inez Gill’s Look Up
- Musical Stylings of Tony Bohnenkamp
- Jordan Weber: Ideas of the great
- Freehand by Molly Free