Community

(k)AIM_Chip_Black_200x168

What’s new at Straight Shot this year?

By SPN Team / February 24, 2015

The Omaha-based Straight Shot accelerator is now accepting applications for its third year program. David Arnold, Managing Director of Straight Shot, is excited about what’s new this summer. “I think we’re ready to take some big steps and do some innovative things with the types of companies we bring in as well as the accelerator model itself,” said Arnold.

Read More

We’re back. Ready?

By SPN Team / February 23, 2015

The genius of SPN has always been personal relationships within the community. It’s essential that we listen closely to the community, find out what the community needs, and then design SPN for you. The need for something like SPN is clear; the demand for a better SPN is equally clear. The community is growing, and SPN needs to grow with it.

Read More

Tesla to have presence in Omaha, KC; may face legal hurdles in Nebraska

By SPN Team / June 6, 2014

Tesla service centers and potentially even stores are coming to Omaha and Kansas City. The questions remains “when” and “where?”

The all-electric car manufacturer’s website placed a “coming soon” label on the two cities in recent weeks, but a spokesperson for the Elon Musk-led company said she can’t speak to a timeline.

Like all Tesla locations, the service centers in Omaha and KC will be Tesla owned and operated. Sales showrooms also may be in the works, but those plans are still in flux.

Read More

Idiot Learns to Code: 5 Javascript things Codecademy doesn’t teach you

By SPN Newsroom / April 11, 2014

(Guest post by Frank Merchlewitz) A list post! Hooray! It was only a matter of time before I created some good old-fashioned clickbait.

Let me start by saying I love Codecademy. I couldn’t have gotten to the level I’m at now without their introductory Javascript course. But as any good web developer will tell you, the best way to learn is by actually building something…

Read More

Three years after announcement, Kansas City is still figuring out Fiber

By SPN Team / April 1, 2014

When the world jumped from dial-up to broadband, it changed the way we worked. In time, many hope Google Fiber, with Internet speed 100 times faster than current services, will do the same.

But day-to-day, the implications of Google Fiber are not as great as Kansas City Startup Village co-leader Matthew Marcus says he envisioned…

Read More

The do’s and don’ts of working with family and friends

By SPN Newsroom / March 8, 2013

(Guest post by Deana Ward.) Working with family and friends—like anything in life—can be completely awesome or totally awful. Over the course of my career, I’ve experienced both extremes (and everything in between).

Currently, Gear Five Studio is a Petri dish for personal work relationships. My brother and I are business partners. Our art director is married to one of our graphic designers. Our sales guy and marketing assistant are siblings. Said sales guy dates our art director’s sister. Our newest developer is a close buddy of the same sales guy.

Last week I ran an anonymous in-house survey …

Read More