Community

(k)AIM_Chip_Black_200x168

Idiot Learns to Code: 5 Javascript things Codecademy doesn’t teach you

By SPN Newsroom / April 11, 2014

(Guest post by Frank Merchlewitz) A list post! Hooray! It was only a matter of time before I created some good old-fashioned clickbait.

Let me start by saying I love Codecademy. I couldn’t have gotten to the level I’m at now without their introductory Javascript course. But as any good web developer will tell you, the best way to learn is by actually building something…

Read More

Three years after announcement, Kansas City is still figuring out Fiber

By SPN Team / April 1, 2014

When the world jumped from dial-up to broadband, it changed the way we worked. In time, many hope Google Fiber, with Internet speed 100 times faster than current services, will do the same.

But day-to-day, the implications of Google Fiber are not as great as Kansas City Startup Village co-leader Matthew Marcus says he envisioned…

Read More

The do’s and don’ts of working with family and friends

By SPN Newsroom / March 8, 2013

(Guest post by Deana Ward.) Working with family and friends—like anything in life—can be completely awesome or totally awful. Over the course of my career, I’ve experienced both extremes (and everything in between).

Currently, Gear Five Studio is a Petri dish for personal work relationships. My brother and I are business partners. Our art director is married to one of our graphic designers. Our sales guy and marketing assistant are siblings. Said sales guy dates our art director’s sister. Our newest developer is a close buddy of the same sales guy.

Last week I ran an anonymous in-house survey …

Read More