Community

(k)AIM_Chip_Black_200x168

The Kansas City Startup Village permit issue: explained

By SPN Team / April 29, 2015

Two weeks ago, a small army of Kansas City entrepreneurs descended on the Planning Commission meeting in Kansas City, Kansas. Here’s why. Entrepreneurs are not known for their patience, and a room full of them listening through appeals on sign location was a strange sight. Their sudden interest in the zoning laws, however, was the…

Read More

Welcome to the NEW Silicon Prairie News! [Video]

By SPN Team / April 23, 2015

Ryan Pendell, Managing Editor of Silicon Prairie News, explains the thinking behind the new Silicon Prairie News site design from Mildred’s Coffeehouse in Kansas City. In response to reader feedback, we’ve reorganized our content to better showcase our best stories. The new site should also look cleaner and run faster on mobile devices. Thank you…

Read More

Better Know A Developer: Tara Stava, BuilderTREND

By SPN Team / April 15, 2015

“I actually love VB.Net. Most developers are C# all the way. I’ve always been a VB.Net girl. And people are like, Why? I’m like, ‘It does everything C# does, and it’s easier to write!’ And they’re like, ‘OK.’ Most developers are hardcore into C#.”

Read More

Better Know A Developer: Sandi Barr, Aviture

By SPN Team / April 7, 2015

“I think the biggest misunderstanding about being a developer in general is this stereotype that we’re really shy and don’t have to interact with people. That’s just completely the opposite. I work on a team where we split things up into very small tasks, so we’re working really closely together. There’s a lot of communication that needs to go on.”

Read More

What will the new SEC rules mean for Nebraska’s crowdfunding bill?

By Rod Armstrong / March 27, 2015

Under the new rules, startups can raise up to $50 million from virtually anyone, although there is an investment limit of 10% of an individual’s net worth. Offerings will still need to be qualified by the SEC, a process that will be somewhat complex but still easier than requirements for an Initial Public Offering. Online equity platforms will have to register with the SEC as broker-dealers, in essence becoming regulated financial institutions.

Read More

Where are all the successful entrepreneurs?

By SPN Team / March 26, 2015

The problem I keep running into is most people are in my boat.They are all startup. They are learning, making mistakes, tweaking their business and figuring it out as they go. But where are all the people that made it? Where are all the startups from before being a startup was a thing?

Read More

What will Omaha’s new digital library mean for startups?

By SPN Team / March 16, 2015

Omaha’s first digital library will offer experimental maker technology to the public–including entrepreneurs, according to Rebecca Stavick, the library’s new executive director. “This place will directly support entrepreneurs,” said Stavick. “This will be a perfect place for coworking, high-speed internet, and prototyping on 3D printers.”

Read More