Attention Students: Des Moines’ first Startup Job Crawl is Nov. 16October 28, 2011 by Geoff Wood
Hey college students!
Interested in learning more about Des Moines’ startup community? Want to network with the newest and most exciting companies in Central Iowa? Join the Startup Foundation Des Moines* and Silicon Prairie News for the the first Startup Job Crawl on Des Moines’ “Silicon Sixth Avenue.”
Starting at 5 p.m. on Wednesday, Nov. 16, students and recent graduates will have the opportunity to meet the people behind local startups (some of whom are pictured above), see their products in action and learn about the culture of working in this innovative community. This event is free to attend and is open to students and recent graduates (within one calendar year) in and around Iowa.
Who should join us?
Developers, designers, artists, finance majors, entrepreneurs and more. If you’re a student or recent graduate interested in exploring the startup life, this event is for you. Some companies are currently hiring, others are looking for interns and some just want to share what they’re working on because they’ll be hiring soon. Regardless, the startup community is growing in Des Moines and this will be the event to network with the people powering it.
We’ll start at the Midland Building (6th & Mulberry), home to:
- Dwolla – A cash-based network that allows you to exchange money between people and companies for a flat rate of 25 cents
- Silicon Prairie News (that’s us!) – A blog and event producer focused on highlighting and supporting entrepreneurs and creatives in the Silicon Prairie
- Torsion Mobile – A firm building a platform for marketing, design and web professionals to create mobile websites
- Eggcrates – Transformable, customizable shelving for startups, dorm rooms and more
- Amici Espresso – The coffee shop that serves as the meeting place for entrepreneurs, investors and startup community stakeholder
Next, we’ll head to Startup City Des Moines, an incubator for startups that just welcomed its inaugural class, which includes:
- Tikly – A startup that wants to put the ticketing process back into the hands of artists by allowing them to sell their own shows, music and merchandise alongside tickets
- Meidh Tech – Technology products related to optimizing physical assets
- ShareWhere – A startup taking evites to the next level, adding elements of social networking and location-based marketing
- Real Estate Fan Pages – A startup creating a Facebook fan page building app to allow real estate agents to display listings, virtual tours, client feedback and more
- Pikuzone – Parent-managed email communication system for children, allowing them to learn modern communication skills safely.
- Present.io – “TiVo for live meetings,” technology to record slides and audio, synchronize them, and tag relevant topics
We’ll end the night at the Liberty Building:
- BitMethod – Builder of digital products such as mobile apps, web apps and websites
- Pongr – Picture sharing game with real-life rewards
- Foundry Coworking – Coworking facility that just moved to the Liberty
Not a student but want to get involved?
If you’re a startup that would like to be added to the schedule above or if you’d like to play another role in the Startup Job Crawl, please contact me at email@example.com.
*Disclosure: Silicon Prairie News is the Des Moines facilitator of Startup Foundation, a non-profit organization providing leadership and funding to create vibrant startup communities in cities across the globe. The author of this post, Geoff Wood, is the Startup Foundation Des Moines co-founder.