A guide to Global Entrepreneurship Week events across the PrairieNovember 14, 2011 by Michael Stacy
The Kauffman Foundation said in a release that “millions” of aspiring and current entrepreneurs are expected to participate in this week’s events. Image from unleashingideas.org.
In 123 countries around the world and several cities across the Silicon Prairie, today marks the start of the fourth annual Global Entrepreneurship Week (GEW), sponsored by the Kansas City, Mo.-based Ewing Marion Kauffman Foundation. Globally, more than 25,000 partner organizations will host 40,000 events in a week-long celebration that aims to drive awareness of and adoption for entrepreneurship.
“For one week each November, students, educators, entrepreneurs, business leaders and government officials come together to pursue one cause – to spread the power of entrepreneurship,” Carl Schramm, president and CEO of the Kauffman Foundation, said in a release. “It’s during this time that we celebrate the innovators who bring ideas to life, drive economic growth and expand human welfare.”
There are no requirements to take part in GEW. Anyone, anywhere can participate in the week’s activities, which range from virtual events to face-to-face gatherings and include everything from competitions to networking gatherings.
Per GEW’s website, we’ve compiled a list of events in conjunction with GEW that are taking place this week on the Silicon Prairie. The list is organized by city and, within each city, by date. If we missed any events, please pass them along by chiming in with the comment section below or emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Iowa City, Iowa
Kansas City, Mo.
- Youth Entrepreneurship Summit: Jumpstart America – Sunday-Tuesday
- GEW Kick Off Event – Monday
- Hispanic Economic Development Corporation Awards – Monday
- Under-30 CEO: Everything I Know, I Learned in My First Year – Monday
- A Conversation with Danny O’Neill – Tuesday
- Connect 2 Success Day – Tuesday
- Kauffman FastTrac: Global Women’s Summit – Wednesday
- Metro-Wide Entrepreneurial Expo – Wednesday
- A Conversation with Ollie Gates – Wednesday
- An Introduction to the Ice House Entrepreneurship Program – Thursday
- Business for Breakfast Series: Bill Rasmussen – Friday
- A Conversation with Clara Reyes – Friday
- Central NE Business Idea Contest – Wednesday
Lee’s Summit, Mo.
- Entrepreneurs in Motion Breakfast – Tuesday
Mason City, Iowa
- North Iowa Area Community College: Multilevel Marketing – Monday
- NIACC Entrepreneurs’ Exchange – Tuesday
- NIACC Marketplace – Thursday