The fourth annual Lincoln Startup Week is scheduled from Monday, September 28, through Friday, October 2nd, at several locations in and around downtown and the Haymarket. More than 50 events of interest to startups, students, job seekers and the general public are on the schedule at lincoln.startupweek.co.
One major attraction is the AIM Silicon Prairie Awards from 6 – 10 p.m. on Thursday, October 1, at the Rococo Theatre. The awards celebrate the Silicon Prairie’s startup community and honor people, companies and organizations who exemplify the region’s startup culture and ecosystem. See the complete list of finalists.
A SPAwards pre-event meetup will take place at Vega at 4 p.m., immediately preceding the awards. It will be the premier opportunity for members of Lincoln’s startup community to meet and mingle with out-of-town guests. The meetup is sponsored by the Lincoln Partnership for Economic Development and the Lincoln Convention & Visitors Bureau.
Other highlights of Lincoln Startup Week include:
- “Maker Monday” – Take a self-guided tour of the Nebraska Innovation Studio and hear presentations from several startups during “Meet the Makers.”
- “Tech Tuesday” features Lincoln Coffee and Code followed by presentations on architecture & technology choice, minimum viable product and minimum viable company.
- Startup Policy Luncheon – Need lunch plans for Tuesday? Join a free-wheeling discussion with elected officials about public policy and the startup community. Panelists include Lincoln Mayor Chris Beutler, Lincoln City Council members Trent Fellers and Leirion Gaylor Baird, and State Senators Kate Bolz and Heath Mello.
- Tuesday Tech Crawl – Meet and interact with local startups to learn about their businesses, explore internship and job opportunities, and enjoy the fresh air on the dock outside The Mill in the Haymarket. If you’re a vintage video game aficionado, Ebbeka Design is offering a $50 cash prize for the winning score at Frogger. Tours of startups in the Haymarket are also available.
- Second Act/Encore Careers – Think startups aren’t for Baby Boomers? Learn about ways to reimagine, reinvent or repurpose your career on Wednesday morning.
- Social Entrepreneurship – Starting with lunch on Wednesday, the Non-Profit Hub offers programs and information on social entrepreneurship programs and businesses.
- Content Marketing and Public Relations for Startups – Wednesday afternoon features presentations for startups to be more effective at marketing and media relations. Silicon Prairie News will part of a discussion with local media writers about how startups can explain themselves better to news organizations.
- Legal and Financial Issues for Startups – Wednesday afternoon also features several presentations on things startups need to think about from a business organization & funding perspective.
- Understanding Coworking – Hear what was behind the creation of FUSE Coworking, and what’s next for Turbine Flats.
- Pipeline Entrepreneurs at Vega – The Inside Outside podcast will be recording live with regional Pipeline entrepreneurs at Vega on Wednesday night.
- TedxLincoln – Head to Kimball Hall on Thursday to hear inspiring and thought-provoking talks that are the hallmark of the global TedX series. See this year’s speaker list.
- Donuts with Paul Singh – Singh is back again this year after keynoting the NMotion Demo Day this summer. This Friday morning event will be hosted by Nebraska Global at the Barnyard.
For the complete list of activities visit lincoln.startupweek.co.
“We’re expecting some amazing events for founders, investors, and makers beyond Lincoln,” said Brian Ardinger of NMotion. “From events like the regional SPAwards to the Pipeline Entrepreneurs meetup to national guests like Paul Singh and Trey Bowles, we’ve got something for everyone in the Midwest startup scene to check out.”