We’re hiring: SPN Community Builder in Kansas City
In the midst of our ongoing efforts to tell the stories of the region's startups, creatives and entrepreneurs, we're extremely excited to announce a new chapter in our own story: Silicon Prairie News is hiring for the position of Community Builder in Kansas City. Our mission is simple – build creative startup communities – and
Silicon Prairie News officially kicked off its coverage of the Kansas City community with a launch party in March of 2011.
Like events? We’re also hiring a speaker manager based in Omaha, Des Moines or Kansas City. Learn more.
UPDATE as of 8/24 – we are no longer accepting applications for the Community Builder in Kansas City position.
In the midst of our ongoing efforts to tell the stories of the region’s startups, creatives and entrepreneurs, we’re extremely excited to announce a new chapter in our own story: Silicon Prairie News is hiring for the position of Community Builder in Kansas City.
Our mission is simple – build creative startup communities – and over the past four years we’ve worked to establish ourselves as a driving force for all things startups and entrepreneurship in the heart of the Midwest. We’ve long considered Kansas City to be one of three flagship cities of the Silicon Prairie and have covered its community for more than a year.
Without feet on the ground, however, we can only do so much to highlight, coalesce and help build the startup community in and around Kansas City.
With that in mind, we’re excited to be adding our first full-time employee in Kansas City. This important position will be filled by a passionate leader who will work to raise awareness of the area’s startup community locally, regionally and nationally.
Community Builder – Kansas City (Full Time)
Silicon Prairie News is a digital media company dedicated to highlighting and supporting entrepreneurs, creatives and investors through an emerging model for grassroots entrepreneurial ecosystem development in and around Omaha, Des Moines and Kansas City. Founded in 2008, SPN also produces events, such as the Silicon Prairie Series (Big Omaha, Thinc Iowa and a to-be-named Kansas City event), the Silicon Prairie Awards and the Startup Job Crawl.
- Serve as the voice and face of SPN in the Kansas City area
- Attend and participate in startup events, such as Startup Weekend and Geek Night
- Establish a strong and visible SPN presence, including opening our Kansas City office
- Be the liaison between SPN and the established business community: city, state and federal government officials; foundations; investors; colleges and universities; entrepreneurs and other community participants and stakeholders
- Identify and create strong relationships and partnerships with organizations and individuals
- Help plan and execute the annual Silicon Prairie Series event
Looking for someone who:
- Has a great level of respect in entrepreneurial sectors and is a person of high character and integrity
- Is as comfortable talking with the established business community (think suits) as with entrepreneurs (think jeans)
- Has a strong sales and/or business development ability to share the mission of SPN and secure financial partners for SPN’s website and events
- Is genuinely nice and plays well with others
The ideal person:
- Is extremely passionate about the Kansas City area, and has a huge desire to see it recognize its full potential
- Reads and is up to date on national news as it relates to internet startups
- Is (or desires to be) a visible member of the startup and creative communities in and around Kansas City and beyond
- Enjoys writing
Why work at Silicon Prairie News?
Since launching four years ago, we’ve been on an amazing journey to build, inspire and shape the region into an area known for its startup and entrepreneurial culture. Our work to highlight and support the community has been featured by TIME, Inc. magazine, The Next Web, Fast Company and others, but we look at what we’ve accomplished so far as just the tip of the iceberg – there’s years of work left to do. We need great team members to help us achieve our goals.
A few things that make working at SPN special:
- You’ll get to collaborate with some of the region and nation’s top names in technology and entrepreneurship
- We work extremely hard, and at the same time we manage to have our share of fun
- Every day will be different than the last. No two days bring the same challenges.
- Analog the Prairie Dog is our mascot, and is an all around great guy
What people have to say about SPN:
“Single-handedly and with his team, [Jeff Slobotski] is transforming Omaha and this region in a way that I haven’t seen anyone do.” – Shervin Pishevar, Menlo Ventures
“If it weren’t for Silicon Prairie News, there wouldn’t be a start-up scene in the mid-west. They are our voice. Their existence reinforces our culture.” – Ben Milne, Dwolla
“Our biggest funder to date specifically mentioned finding us through SPN. Thanks SPN for being a bridge to great resources for businesses calling the Silicon Prairie home.” – Jonathan Whistman, LiveOn
“SPN rocks … it’s that simple.” – Bo Fishback, Zaarly
Sound intriguing? If this position sounds like something you’re interested in and are qualified for, please complete the application linked below.
apply To Be the SPN Community Builder in Kansas City Know somebody that would be perfect for this position? Refer them to us!
Credits: Launch party photo by Royce Haynes. Team photo by Justin Limonges.
JOIN THE MOVEMENT!
Sign up to receive daily updates in your inbox.