Dwolla staffers pose after receiving Software Company of the Year (Small/Medium) at the Prometheus Awards.
Dwolla, Appcore and WebFilings last night took top honors at the eighth annual Prometheus Awards in Des Moines. The ceremony, hosted by the Technology Association of Iowa (TAI), had an audience of 670 and recognized the acheivements of individuals and tech companies around the state.
TAI bestowed its two Software Company of the Year awards on Des Moines-based Dwolla, who won the small/medium business category, and Ames-based WebFilings, who won the large/enterprise business category. WebFilings also took home the honor of Technology Company of the Year in the large/enterprise business category. Des Moines-based Appcore won each of the categories where it had been nominated, including Top Growth Company of the Year and Technology Company of the Year in the small/medium business category.
The association also recognized a group of students from Stilwell Junior High in West Des Moines and one from Dallas Center-Grimes High School for their involvement in HyperStream, a program geared toward introducing middle and high school students to technology related career fields.
Words from the winners
Following the awards ceremony, Silicon Prairie News spoke with a few of the evening’s winners:
Software Company of the Year (Small/Medium)
Ben Milne, CEO: “I think that every year this is a really good event for people in the local community to come out and see one another. You get an opportunity to meet new people which is pretty fantastic. For us right now our priorities aren’t really that much different than they have been. We’re just continuing to recruit and build the company here.”
Top Growth Company of the Year & Technology Company of the Year (Small/Medium)
Jeff Tegethoff, president: “We’re humbled to win four out of four awards that we were up for. We just raised a funding round a couple months ago and utilizing that to launch our new software-defined data center product and software-defined cloud product, which will be an industry first. So we couldn’t do that without the rest of the team here. We finished 2011 with 12 people and now have over 100.”
2013 Prometheus Award Winners
The 2013 Prometheus Awards recognized the acheivements of technology innovators in Iowa.
Categories with startup finalists
- Software Company of the Year (Small/Medium): Dwolla (Des Moines)
- Software Company of the Year (Large/Enterprise): WebFilings (Ames)
- Top Growth Company of the Year: Appcore (Des Moines)
- Mobile App of the Year: Hy-Vee (West Des Moines)
- CEO of the Year: Brian Patrick Donaghy, Appcore (Des Moines)
- Student Innovation of the Year: Farm Manuals Fast (Iowa City)
- Break Out Award: Appcore (Des Moines)
- Outstanding Startup Company of the Year: Prositions, Inc. (Urbandale)
- Technology Company of the Year (Small/Medium): Appcore (Des Moines)
- Technology Company of the Year (Large/Enterprise): WebFilings (Ames)
- IT Service Provider of the Year: Involta (Cedar Rapids)
- Clean Energy Innovation: RINAlliance (Urbandale)
- Best User of Technology: Nationwide Insurance Application Development Center (Des Moines)
- Innovation in Teaching: Ben Chadwick, Dallas Center Grimes Community School District
- CIO/CTO/CSO of the Year: Darren Baty, Hy-Vee (West Des Moines)
- Life Sciences Company of the Year: Trans Ova Genetics (Sioux City)
- Igniter Award: CDS Global (Des Moines)
- Investing in Iowa – 2013 Award: CMA Ventures, a subsidiary of the Central Iowa Power Cooperative (Des Moines)
Learn more about the Prometheus Awards and TAI’s other events this week in our article: “Q&A: TAI leader Leann Jacobsen teases next week’s ‘TriTECHta.’ “
Note: Silicon Prairie News is a media sponsor of the Prometheus Awards.
Credits: Photos courtest of Technology Association of Iowa.